Plum Compote with Almond Crumble Recipe
For the compote
- 800g plums - stoned & quartered
- 20ml fresh lemon juice
- 50g caster sugar
- 30g butter - unsalted
For the crumble
- 20g flaked almonds
- 60g plain flour
- 70g ground almonds
- 30g caster sugar
- 40g butter - unsalted (at room temperature)
- A good pinch of ground cinnamon
- If you haven’t already, wash the plums, remove the stones and chop them into quarters.
- Toss them in the lemon juice and caster sugar, cover with clingfilm and leave to marinate for at least 30 minutes.
- Toast the flaked almonds in an oven preheated to about 160*C for about 5 minutes or until just golden. Turning occasionally so they don’t over cook. Then set aside.
- Mix the remaining crumble ingredients together, except for the butter.
- Rub the softened butter into the crumble mix.
- Turn the oven up to 200*C and bake the crumble mix on a tray lined with parchment paper, for about 10 minutes, turning occasionally, until golden.
- Whilst the crumble is cooking, melt the remaining butter in a small to medium saucepan, then add the marinated plums.
- Bring to the boil.
- Turn down the heat and simmer for 6-8 minutes until the plums are tender.
- Divide the plums between four oven proof ramekins.
- Mix the flaked almonds into the now golden crumble mix then divide the topping between the four ramekins.
- Pop the ramekins back into the oven to heat through for a few minutes, making sure the topping doesn’t burn.
- Serve immediately with crème anglaise, or thick cream.
- Enjoy leftovers with yogurt for a brilliantly indulgent breakfast (optional).